A symbol of Coney Island’s survival and resurrection, Brooklyn’s Eiffel Tower
A landmark of Coney Island, the Parachute Jump was a beloved ride while in service from the 1940s to 1960s. Originally built in 1939 for the New York World’s Fair in Queens, it moved to Steeplechase in 1941 and has since remained a permanent fixture and visitors are sure to recognize this towering landmark among the Coney Island skyline. During its run, the ride attracted as many as half a million riders annually but despite its popularity, riders would sometimes be stranded in mid-air or tangled in cables, forcing its closure in 1964. However, there are still many advocating for its reopening and comment frequently on the joy they experienced, keeping the spirit of this ride alive.